LOOK HERE for recipes, quotes, music, books, environmental stewardship, faith, etc

Sunday, March 15, 2009

Podcasts Anyone?

I'm really curious as to how many of you listen to podcasts. I've become quite hooked on them, and listen to at least one every day. In fact, I barely watch TV anymore - I'd much rather listen to a podcast, especially when I am walking, riding my bike or traveling out of town.

Here's a list of the ones I listen to - I subscribe to all of them through iTunes. Please share on this blog as to what podcasts you listen to by posting a comment below. Thanks!
  • A Prairie Home Companion's News from Lake Wobegone - he just makes me laugh.
  • Garrison Keillor's Writer's Almanac - I mentioned this yesterday. I don't get something out of it every day. But I find myself learning a lot from it over time. I've also learned about or been reminded of some great authors here.
  • KCRW's Left, Right & Center - this is a stimulating roundtable on politics. The various members' comments annoy me at times, but I take that as a good sign. The whole thing gives a decent flyover of the issues of the week .
  • KCRW's Today's Top Tune - good exposure to different kinds of music.
  • New Yorker: Out Loud - I am an addicted subscriber to the magazine. It's fun to hear interviews of the writers.
  • NPR: All Songs Considered - I've mentioned this before in this space. This is intelligent commentary on all sorts of music. My favorite is when they invite an artist to guest DJ and play some of their greatest influences. Totally cool.
  • NPR: Sports with Frank Deford - this guy is an old crank, but very articulate. He gives a great spin on sports and culture. And he's a classic fan.
  • Paste Culture Club - only once a month, but it's a good supplement to All Songs Considered. It expands on that month's issue of Paste Magazine, which is an outstanding music & culture magazine that I really enjoy.
  • This American Life - perhaps my favorite. It's an entire hour, but it is luxurious in its telling of stories. It's nearly impossible to describe, but it's always fascinating. It's so real and honest that sometimes I feel like I'm eavesdropping on someone's life. Funny, weird, intense, different.
Yes, this is sort of a long list, and it takes me a week (and exercising every day) to chip away at it. But it keeps the pot stirred mentally. I dig it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment