LOOK HERE for recipes, quotes, music, books, environmental stewardship, faith, etc

Saturday, March 14, 2009

You Just Never Know...

I receive Garrison Keillor's Writer's Almanac everyday through email and podcast. I get to hear a little poetry everyday, and fun trivia about writers, politicians, celebrities, and historic figures in general. I think Garrison Keillor is a genius at whatever he does.

Today's entry had this paragraph, and I found it delightful.

It's the birthday of Albert Einstein, born in Ulm, Germany (1879). He was taught at home for a while, and when he finally went to school, his teachers thought he was developmentally disabled. In high school, one of his teachers tried to expel him because all he did in class was sit in the back of the room smiling. He finally dropped out at the age of 16.

I can relate a bit to this - I was shy, awkward, glasses sliding down my nose, terrible at kickball, desperate to fit in but completely unable to for all of elementary school and jr high. I have to admit, I wish I had been sitting in the back of the classroom smiling. What a great image.

For me it was more like I sat frozen in my seat, completely self-conscious and afraid to say a word. (I know, I know, difficult to imagine now!)

I sure am glad Jesus grabbed me by the back of the collar at 15 and got my attention. He set me free in so many ways. I wasn't even looking for him - heck, I didn't even know he was there. Glad he was looking out for me. I'll never understand how all that works, but I'm relieved from where I stand. Phew.

No comments:

Post a Comment