LOOK HERE for recipes, quotes, music, books, environmental stewardship, faith, etc

Thursday, December 30, 2010

Pancakes with Protein?

My new favorite source for recipes (gluten-free, low-cholesterol, organic, blah blah blah) is Whole Foods. I subscribe to their weekly newsletter and I usually take away at least one recipe a week. I'm trying another on New Year's Eve -- if I like it, I'll post it here.

I tried this new one at breakfast today with blueberries. Oh me oh my. Perfection. I will try it with thin apple slices next. I used gluten-free flour and it worked perfectly.

Only thing to remember: if you like thick restaurant-style pancakes, skip this... these are more light and crepe-like. They were oh-so-tasty.

Note to self: Make sure you chew them as you're shoveling them in your mouth....

Cottage Cheese Pancakes

Serves 4

In these moist and tender pancakes, the cottage cheese adds quality calcium and protein. Serve with a bit of butter and maple syrup or, for a special treat, top with fig spread.

Ingredients

1 cup unbleached flour (remember, I used GF flour and it worked great)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons sugar
4 eggs (I used egg substitute - again, great!)
1 cup cottage cheese
1/2 cup milk
2 tablespoons canola oil
Canola oil cooking spray

Method

In a large bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, salt and sugar. In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, cottage cheese, milk and oil. Add flour mixture to egg mixture and whisk until completely blended.

Spray a large skillet or griddle with cooking spray then heat over medium heat. Working in batches, form each pancake by spooning about 1/4 cup of the batter onto the skillet. Cook, flipping pancakes once, until golden brown on both sides and cooked through, about 5 minutes total. Transfer to plates and serve.

Nutrition

Per serving (about 6.5oz/186g-wt.): 310 calories (120 from fat), 13g total fat, 3g saturated fat, 220mg cholesterol, 600mg sodium, 33g total carbohydrate (1g dietary fiber, 9g sugar), 17g protein

No comments:

Post a Comment