A friend and I agreed today that while it is definitely cold these days in Santa Barbara (lows in the 30's at night, mornings very crisp and chilly), this is about as cold as it gets, so we can't really complain...
Nevertheless, I am definitely enjoying the opportunity to cook lots of comfort food. Staying cozy in a warm home at night that smells of good food is an amazing gift, and I do not take it for granted for a moment.
I have posted these recipes before, but I am taking a victory lap once again with 8 winners that others have confirmed are quite tasty. Fire up the oven or pull out the pots and pans. Eat hearty.
- Moroccan-Style Stuffed Acorn Squash (Just had it again tonight. Simply glorious)
- Butternut Squash Risotto (Oh my heart, this competes with homemade Mac 'n Cheese for primo comfort food)
- Arroz Negrito (Black Beans & Rice - similar to Gallo Pinto) (Eat with corn tortillas, stuff this in a burrito, fry up with some eggs at breakfast... It's almost better as leftovers.)
- Butternut Squash, Coconut & Lentil Stew (Yes, you are sensing a theme... squash is a favorite. This one is a little different with the coconut curveball thrown in. Mmmmm tasty.)
- Polenta Pizza (Sounds crazy, but totally works. The polenta makes for a crust with great texture and flavor).
- Vegetable Moo Shu (Perfect way to use up whatever vegetables are in your crisper)
- Easy Minestrone Soup (An oldie but a goodie. This is a faithful standby that works when it's 5pm and you haven't figured out what to make for dinner.)
- Thai Peanut Sauce on Rice Noodles (YES, PLEASE! This one has sweet 'n savory written all over it. Deeeeeeelicious.)