LOOK HERE for recipes, quotes, music, books, environmental stewardship, faith, etc

Friday, June 17, 2011

O To Grace

Occasionally I use the lyrics of a hymn to guide my time of contemplation and prayer. Today I used Come, Thou Fount of Every Blessing, and feel full to overflowing with a deep sense of God's powerful presence and persistence in my life.

Spend time lingering on each sentence, using the words as a guide to conversation with God and reflection on His relentless goodness and grace.

COME, THOU FOUNT OF EVERY BLESSING
by Robert Robinson, 1757

1. Come Thou Fount of every blessing
Tune my heart to sing Thy grace;
Streams of mercy, never ceasing,
Call for songs of loudest praise
Teach me some melodious sonnet,
Sung by flaming tongues above.
Praise the mount! I'm fixed upon it,
Mount of God's unchanging love.

2. Here I raise my Ebenezer;
(remember that an "ebenezer" is a stone of help, the place where Samuel erected a monument, in grateful remembrance of the divine help, given in answer to prayer, in a great battle with the Philistines. The same place had before witnessed the defeat of Israel and the capture of the ark, 1 Samuel 4:1; 5:1; 7:5-12. Think about times when God has been a great provider, and build a stone of remembrance in your prayers...)
Hither by Thy help I'm come;
And I hope, by Thy good pleasure,
Safely to arrive at home.
Jesus sought me when a stranger,
Wandering from the fold of God;
He, to rescue me from danger,
Interposed His precious blood.

3. O to grace how great a debtor
Daily I'm constrained to be!
Let that grace now like a fetter,
Bind my wandering heart to Thee.
Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it,
Prone to leave the God I love;
Here's my heart, O take and seal it,
Seal it for Thy courts above.

No comments:

Post a Comment