LOOK HERE for recipes, quotes, music, books, environmental stewardship, faith, etc

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Hear My Cry


So many beloved are on my heart. But my prayers for them feel small... almost boring. Instead, I simply lift up their names to God, who knows what they need far better than I ever will, and then pray scripture from that day's reading over them.

Here is the psalm that came up today in my reading. For those I love dearly ~ either at camp this week, on a mission in Thailand, returning to service in Guatemala, sorting out life after graduation... or just plain living another week... hear my cry, Lord.

PSALM 20
1 In times of trouble, may the Lord answer your cry.
May the name of the God of Jacob keep you safe from all harm.
2 May he send you help from his sanctuary
and strengthen you from Jerusalem.
3 May he remember all your gifts
and look favorably on your burnt offerings.
Interlude

4 May he grant your heart’s desires
and make all your plans succeed.
5 May we shout for joy when we hear of your victory
and raise a victory banner in the name of our God.
May the Lord answer all your prayers.

6 Now I know that the Lord rescues his anointed king.
He will answer him from his holy heaven
and rescue him by his great power.
7 Some nations boast of their chariots and horses,
but we boast in the name of the Lord our God.

8 Those nations will fall down and collapse,
but we will rise up and stand firm.

9 Give victory to our king, O Lord!
Answer our cry for help.

May my beloved students and friends gain "victory" in their efforts... and may they rely solely on you, and not their own strength.

Catherine of Genoa said, “All goodness is a participation in God and his love for his creatures.”

No comments:

Post a Comment