LOOK HERE for recipes, quotes, music, books, environmental stewardship, faith, etc

Saturday, May 21, 2011

Just Keep Swimming...

I received a nice little text message today...
Noticed you haven't blogged in awhile... Just making sure everything is ok??? :) Miss you.
How great. One of my five blog followers poked her head in, and I appreciate it (thank you, MA!).

So for the other 4 of you, I want you to know that I'm fine. Pretty darn great, in fact. But April and May have kept me on my toes, that's for sure...

Since I returned from my glorious spring break in Italy, I have gotten to be a part of so many cool things!
  • Led a retreat for Single Ministry Leaders within the Free Methodist Conference of Southern California (FMCSC);
  • Presented a seminar on "sustainable youth ministry" to the "Northern Lites" district of the Coastal Region (again, FMCSC);
  • Taught a month-long series on ancient world civilizations that I titled "The 'Isms" at Providence Hall;
  • Took a lovely day trip to San Luis Obispo with 3 amazing high school girls I've loved and met with regularly for three years ~ before they graduate and head out to Great Beyond;
  • Consulted with a wonderful church in Seattle about their youth ministry, entering a 17-month project with them (and got to visit with some friends whom I love dearly after the consultation!);
  • Published an article with YMToday on ministry and parenting with 5th/6th graders;
  • Started a new coaching project with a 102-year old Free Methodist church in LA;
  • Finished the Ism's with high school students and then taught the same series at church to adults, ranging in age from 20 to 75;
  • Started another series with Providence Hall, this one framed around John Stott's final book, The Radical Disciple (pick it up ~ I really like it!);
  • Saw my beloved Lakers completely muff this year's path to the playoffs (grrrrrrrrr!)
  • Celebrated my best friend's birthday with a great dinner with her family and an incredible concert in Hollywood, seeing Slow Runner and William Fitzsimmons (do not pass up the opportunity if he appears near you);
  • Picked up two more youth ministry consulting projects through Youth Ministry Architects (when it rains it pours!)
  • Met with a pair of Cantonese Free Methodist pastors who are guiding a summer camp for neighborhood children;
  • Just finished leading a retreat with this year's inaugural round of Summer Interns for FMCSC ~ I'm already in love with this bunch of talented and earnest young leaders.
PHEW. There it is. I cannot deny that I am ready for the 3 days of Memorial Weekend to recuperate, garden, read, sleep and relax. But these things have all been fulfilling, challenging and I consider each one a great privilege. Thanks for reading and caring.

I read these verses yesterday, and they sum it all up perfectly. Life is good.
1 Let all that I am praise the Lord;
with my whole heart, I will praise his holy name.
2 Let all that I am praise the Lord;
may I never forget the good things he does for me.
3 He forgives all my sins
and heals all my diseases.
4 He redeems me from death
and crowns me with love and tender mercies.
5 He fills my life with good things.
My youth is renewed like the eagle’s! (Psalm 103:1-5)

No comments:

Post a Comment