LOOK HERE for recipes, quotes, music, books, environmental stewardship, faith, etc

Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Spring has Sprung and a New Recipe Must Come!

Perhaps not the most poetic of blog post titles, but it makes my point... I had a few lovely vegetables sitting in my crisper and a bit of "hmmm... what to do, what to do..." buzzing through my head around 5pm. Then I looked through my saved recipes from Vegetarian Times and VOILA! This one popped out at me. I made a few small adjustments and I will brag share that dinner was mighty delicious!

Admittedly, I put leeks in the category of "grown-up" vegetables, as in, I did not willingly eat a leek (or, fill in the blank.... cauliflower, bok choy, fennel, turnip, beet, brussels sprouts...) until I was well into my 30's. But NOW I glory in such vegetables! Call me crazy, call me boring, but I prefer to call myself HEALTHY. Yessiree!

Decide for yourself, but I believe this recipe to be a keeper. And I have enough leftovers for lunch tomorrow. #ftw

SPRING LEEK HASH WITH POLENTA AND CHEESE

Serves 4

30 minutes or fewer to prepare
Though taken from Vegetarian Times, I imagine this would also be delicioso with a bit of chorizo or bacon. Just sayin'...

1 Tbs. olive oil
3 medium leeks, trimmed, halved, and chopped (6 cups) I used 2 leeks and 3 stalks of celery
1 shallot (my addition)
1 yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced (1 cup)
2 Tbs. minced fresh thyme, divided
¼ tsp. red pepper flakes I used chipotle pepper powder
½ cup low-sodium vegetable broth
3 cloves garlic, minced (1 Tbs.)
1 16-oz. tube prepared polenta, cut into 12 slices (or prepared from a box of polenta)
2 oz. crumbled aged chèvre (½ cup) I chose to use fresh mozzarella. Good choice.

1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Heat oil in ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add leeks, bell pepper, 1 Tbs. thyme, and red pepper flakes; sauté 10 minutes. Stir in broth and garlic.

2. Arrange polenta slices over leek mixture in skillet; top with crumbled chèvre and remaining 1 Tbs. thyme. 
Bake 10 minutes, or until chèvre (cheese) softens.

No comments:

Post a Comment