LOOK HERE for recipes, quotes, music, books, environmental stewardship, faith, etc

Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Funky and Fabulous Fritters

Thumbing through my latest issue of Vegetarian Times, I came upon a recipe for which I had a few, but not all ingredients. I felt brave enough to do some substitutions because of what I had on hand, and the results were quite tasty. The original recipe is not online yet, but here's what I did.

Zucchini and Sweet Potato Fritters
serves 2

1/4 lb. zucchini, shredded (substitute for okra from the original recipe)
1/2 sweet potato, shredded (about 1/2 c total)
1/4 sweet onion, diced (substitute for shallot)
2 tsp agave (substitute for honey)
2 tsp tamari
1/4 c egg white (you can use a whole egg if you want)
1/4 c masa flour (substitute for yellow cornmeal)
1/4 c toasted walnuts, minced
2 tb coconut oil, divided

Directions:

  1. Combine zucchini, sweet potato, onion, agave, tamari, egg, walnuts and masa flour in large bowl. Refrigerate for 15-30 mins.
  2. Heat 1 tb oil in pan over medium-high heat.
  3. Scoop mixture into large golf-ball size spheres and flatten slightly in pan. Cook for 8 minutes, flipping once.
  4. Repeat with remaining oil and fritters. 
  5. Serve with a bit of tamari sauce, if desired.
I ate this with some scrambled eggs for additional protein. It would be a nice side dish too. Yum it up!

No comments:

Post a Comment