LOOK HERE for recipes, quotes, music, books, environmental stewardship, faith, etc

Monday, February 13, 2012

Recipe Trifecta!

There is just too much good cookin' going on at my house these days... rather than share them in separate posts, I'm going to list 3 new ones that I tried out last week. All gluten-free, all seasonal, all healthy, all sooper-dooper tastalicious, if I do say so myself. Which I do.

Spaghetti Squash with Turkey Meatballs
(thank you Martha)


I bought a lovely golden spaghetti squash last week at San Marcos Farms and wondered if there was a new way to use it. I googled spaghetti squash, and lo and behold, Martha Stewart came through with several options. This one seemed the most interesting and it was fantastic.

Rather than spell it all out here, here's the link to the recipe. And if you're curious, hit the "back to Spag Squash recipes" link at the top, and see what other delights await you.... as for the breadcrumbs, I have a bag of gluten-free bread slices in the freezer for this very cause. I pull out a slice and grate it on my cheese grater and voila! These meatballs were really good. And the spaghetti squash tasted better than if the meatballs and sauce had been served on pasta noodles.

Hearty Oatmeal Pancakes
This gem comes from a terrific birthday present I received -- a very cool cookbook called Simply in Season. This is an entire cookbook based on seasonal, sustainable recipes. You just feel good about yourself when you use it :)

I used some gluten-free flour and gluten-free oats in this recipe. Do not be daunted by the requirement to soak the oats in buttermilk or non-fat yogurt the night before. Worked like a charm for me, and took very little time.

I found the recipe link online here... but I highly recommend getting the cookbook. It is inspiring me to be even more adventurous in the kitchen. C'mon... is that possible?!

Simply in Season - go here to check it out...




Last but not least... Velvety Vegetable Soup
Once again, from Simply in Season. I made this last night as I prepared to watch the Grammys. It was cold outside, revving up to rain, and I saw a bunch of vegetables in my crisper. This worked perfectly, made the house smell wonderful, and warmed my belly quite nicely. Though I kept it vegetarian, it would taste really good with some diced chicken or even some crumbled bacon or sausage. And I topped off my bowl with a nice slice of cheddar that made this an even richer comfort food experience. No holdin' back!

I found this recipe online as well. Interestingly enough, both of these last two links rave about this cookbook too. Appears I am late to the party. Happy cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment