LOOK HERE for recipes, quotes, music, books, environmental stewardship, faith, etc

Sunday, December 4, 2011

Apple Fritter Rings - Triple Wow

I'm not sure where these little gems have been all my life, but thank goodness they found me. My housemate made them tonight for dessert (she only made a 1/4 batch). They are, flat out, ridiculously good!

APPLE FRITTER RINGS

INGREDIENTS
1/2 c plus 2 tb sugar
3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
2 c buttermilk or milk
4 tsp veg oil, plus 2 c for frying
2 lg eggs, lightly beaten
2 c all-purpose flour (gluten-free flour worked perfectly)
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp fine salt
4 med tart apples (such as Granny Smith), cored, peeled, cut into 1/2 inch-thick rings

DIRECTIONS
1. In a medium bowl, combine 1/2 c sugar and cinnamon. In another bowl, whisk milk, 4 tsp oil and eggs. Stir in flour, 2 tb sugar, baking powder, and salt.

2. In a large, heavy, high-sided skillet, heat 2 c oil until it registers 375 with a candy thermometer (or if water spatters when you flick drops of it in). In batches, coat apples in batter and fry until golden brown, about 4 minutes per batch, flipping halfway through.

3. Transfer to a paper-towel-lined baking sheet to drain. Toss apples in cinnamon-sugar and serve immediately. MAKES ABOUT 20.

14 comments:

  1. What if I don't want 20? I just want to make like four for my husband and I to enjoy for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As it says at the top, make a smaller batch. My housemate made a quarter batch. Or take them to work? You will make new friends!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you forgo the sugar/cinnamon mix and add the cinnamon to the batter? Then, after they are fried, just sprinkle with powdered sugar?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Honestly, I don't know. I don't know why it wouldn't work... keep experimenting. Just an excuse to make another batch!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so wanna try this sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know the directions suggest serving immediately. I'd like to make these for my daughters schools bake sale. Will these keep for a few hours or will they be a mushy mess? Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I wish I could tell you... but I have no self-discipline. I eat them right away! I am afraid you will have to experiment ahead of time. My hunch is that you gently wrap them in some paper towel, they should last.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So how important is the milk? Dairy hates me and I'm wondering how much water would ruin the recipe. I'm sure you haven't tried it that way, but maybe you could make an educated guess or suggest a substitute?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry, I can't help you on this. It would be interesting to find out if you could substitute almond milk. I'm all about experimenting... if it works, you've got another lovely batch, if it doesn't, there is not too much lost in terms of time, effort and food. Go for it!

      Delete
  9. I make these often but I add cinnamon and nutmeg to my batter. When they are done I use my sifter and sprinkle powdered sugar on top. My boyfriend is addicted to these!! He and dairy don't get along but there doesn't seem to be enough in this to bother him. (I didn't have milk last Saturday and thought I'd mix some of my powdered non dairy creamer with hot water. It didn't taste like milk but it didn't ruin the fritters!) Great recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Made these with my two yr old and he loved them. Couldn't stop mmming, thank you for sharing your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  11. When I made the batter it was like pancake batter and not thick. It didn't coat the apples very well. Did I do something wrong?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm no cooking expert. My favorite advice on this recipe is just keep practicing, because the results are often so tasty. Whenever a batter is thinner than what the recipe calls for, I just add in a little more flour (be conservative) until it thickens.

      Delete