LOOK HERE for recipes, quotes, music, books, environmental stewardship, faith, etc

Thursday, August 4, 2011

¡Viva La Fiesta!

Many things are working in my favor at the moment... It's sunny here, but not overly hot, it's the week of Santa Barbara's annual "Old Spanish Days" (better known as "Fiesta), and best of all, I live in the Land of Avocados. (Did you know that 90% of this country's avocados come from the CA coast?)

In preparation for some Fiesta Food Sampling later this week, I made this recipe for dinner tonight. That's right, people. I had chips and dip for dinner. I feel great about that.

I must add that this particular recipe (alternatively called "Guacamummus or Hummamole," though I go for the plain and simple "Guacamole Hummus") has some advantages over traditional guacamole, if you can imagine that. The hummus provides some protein, the overall recipe is far less fattening, and honestly, it's a little less rich so it settles in my tummy more easily. Just sayin'.

My housemate found this in a Martha Stewart magazine... we enjoyed ours this evening with Trader Joe's Organic Blue Corn Tortilla Chips.

Ingredients:

1 avocado, peeled and pitted

1 (15 oz.) can of chickpeas, drained

1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped

1/4 cup chopped red onion

3 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed

2-3 tbsp olive oil

1 lime, juiced

1 tsp. cumin

1/4 tsp. salt (more or less to taste)

Method:

Combine all ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth. Add in a few extra tablespoons of water to thin out the consistency if you’d like.

1 comment: