LOOK HERE for recipes, quotes, music, books, environmental stewardship, faith, etc

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Sanctify Me

Since 1999 I have gone with high school students monthly to serve at the local Rescue Mission. We visit with the clients during dinner or after the meal, then present a humble little chapel service. I have loads of great stories about poignant, moving, sad, frustrating, awkward and downright funny moments from these times.

Here are some the things that our students wrote last night on their Facebook pages after returning home:
another successful night of worship and fellowship at the rescue mission
Rescue Mission was really good tonight.
Rescue mission was amazing. Missed everyone who didn't come though.
Got to talk to some REAL people tonight at the rescue mission. Such a great experience! God is LOVE.
I find it odd how when i go to the rescue mission to help out i some how end up getting more out of it. I genuinly love those people. By far this has been the best and most meaningful valentines days i think i will ever have..
The Rescue Mission was amazing. I was humbled. It made me see how blessed I am. Thank you Jesus!
After all these years, it has practically become a reflex for me to go....

Right?

Sadly, the opposite is true. As the time approached to head over, I faced a familiar dilemma: every time I go to the Rescue Mission I have to talk myself into it... I am mortified to admit that. I should want to go, right?

I could take up a whole lot of space here analyzing why I hesitate each time. But if I think about it, I also drag my feet before going to a high school sporting event, or weekend camp. Sure, Rescue Mission pushes me out of my comfort zone big time. But just like when I arrive at the gym to watch yet another basketball game, I feel great about being at the Rescue Mission once I get my sorry self there.

It's just that painful little half hour before I'm supposed to leave. Where I am waiting to feel like going... and I just don't.

Last night I decided, rather than will my way into going, that I would pray my way into it.

I recited a prayer that I have very slo-o-ow-ly been memorizing the last 2-3 months, sentence by sentence. It comes from a book a friend of mine wrote with a couple of other friends of his.

Pause briefly. Read this. Take your time.

You will see how the words washed over me, wave upon wave, speaking Truth and shaking me out of my apathy. I was blessed, and reminded why I am grateful for God's persistence with me. I am a broken vessel, but ever so slowly, I see him gaining ground in me. It is a long and tedious process, and I am blown away by how He never gives up. Hallelujah.

Draw us into your love, Christ Jesus : and deliver us from fear.

Lord, make me an instrument of your peace.
Where there is hatred, let me sow love;
where there is injury, pardon;
where there is doubt, faith;
where there is despair, hope;
where there is darkness, light;
where there is sadness, joy.
O Divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled as to console,
to be understood as to understand,
to be loved as to love.
For it is in giving that we receive,
it is in pardoning that we are pardoned,
and it is in dying that we are born to eternal life.

Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit,
as it was in the beginning, is now, and will be forever. Amen.

Our Father…
Make us worthy, Lord, to serve our brothers and sisters throughout the world, who live and die in poverty and pain. Give them today, through our hands, their daily bread and through our understanding love, give peace and joy. Amen

Blessed are the poor.
For theirs is the Kingdom of God.
Blessed are the hungry.
For they shall be filled.
Blessed are the meek.
For they shall inherit the earth.
Blessed are the pure in heart.
For they shall see God.
Blessed are those who mourn.
For they shall be comforted.
Blessed are the merciful.
For they shall be shown mercy.
Blessed are the peacemakers.
For they are the children of God.
Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness and justice.
For great is their reward.

Dear Jesus, help us to spread your fragrance everywhere we go.

Soul of Christ, sanctify me
Body of Christ, save me
Blood of Christ, inebriate me
Water from the side of Christ, wash me
Passion of Christ, strengthen me
O good Jesus, hear me
Within Thy wounds hide me
Suffer me not to be separated from Thee
From the malicious enemy defend me
In the hour of my death call me
And bidst me come to Thee
That with Thy saints I may praise Thee
Forever and ever. Amen.

Let us go forth to be the Body of Christ. May we become the hands and feet of Jesus to everyone we meet.

In the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Love this! Thank you for sharing this Kelly. I am humbled and reminded to realign my thoughts as I prayerfully face the challenges of the day.

    ReplyDelete