LOOK HERE for recipes, quotes, music, books, environmental stewardship, faith, etc

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Double Green Smooooothie


Looking back on my recent posts, it's almost nothing but recipes these past couple of weeks. Guess I'm feeling superficial these days, or just thinking with my stomach?

Oh well... I'm on a roll ~ here's another one. And friends, like all the recipes I choose to post, this one is DEFINITELY a keeper. I had one very happy palate (and tum tum) after I made it this morning.

My source for this one: yet again, the Whole Foods weekly e-letter. I was especially motivated to try this recipe after picking up my weekly share from Fairview Gardens, which included collard greens, arugula, kale, lettuce, cilantro.... lots of greens in the wintertime, eh? (There were also beets, carrots, garlic and butternut squash, but I digress.)

My only comment: My finished product did not look like the pretty picture. Perhaps because I used blueberries... but rather than the sprightly green color in the photo, mine was more of a purple-gray hue. Not super appetizing perhaps, but the taste was surprisingly fantastic. (Shouldn't I be surprised that something with bananas and kale in the same gulp is yummy?)

Ingredients

1 1/2 cups unsweetened non-dairy beverage, such as almond, rice or soy (I used 3/4 cup regular milk, and 3/4 cup kefir, to get in my daily dose of probiotics. Plus, I just like kefir)
2 dried apricots or 4 pitted dates (not gonna lie - I skipped this ingredient)
1 banana (I prefer frozen bananas to give my smoothies an ice cream-like texture)
1 cup chopped kale leaves
1 cup spinach leaves
1/2 cup fresh or frozen berries

Next time I'm adding an egg or 1-2 helpings of egg substitute, to give me a bit more protein, in place of some of the milk.

Method

Combine non-dairy beverage (or milk & kefir), apricots (nope nope), banana, kale, spinach and berries in a blender and blend until smooth. (I used the greatest kitchen purchase of the new millennium, the Cuisinart Smart Stick. If you don't have one, go here and buy one lickety-split! For smoothies, pestos, creamy soups, mashed potatoes, hummus....)

PS The recipe says "Serves 2" but I drank ALL of this by myself, thank you very much.

Nutrition

Per serving: 160 calories (30 from fat), 3.5g total fat, 0g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 115mg sodium, 30g total carbohydrate (4g dietary fiber, 10g sugar), 8g protein

No comments:

Post a Comment