LOOK HERE for recipes, quotes, music, books, environmental stewardship, faith, etc

Monday, November 8, 2010

High School Students


I have worked with high school students since 1982. As I told one of them the other day, I've been doing it for so long that we used dittos when we needed to make flyers. I can't believe the difference now in terms of technology. Sheesh.

Regardless of the many ways the world has changed in that time period, one of the best things about them that hasn't changed is their sense of hopefulness. I do not usually find teenagers to be hardened or cynical. Believe it or not, they still have a great sense of wonder. They are still idealistic. They love adventure. And these things inspire me and keep me feeling young. (Shush! No smart remarks...)

Just tonight, a large group of students from Providence Hall served at the Rescue Mission. We've committed to going once a month -- but it's still a very new experience for most of them. I got nervous this morning, wondering if they were ready to go for it tonight. But here are some of their posts on Facebook about it are a delight (yes, there can be something redeeming about FB):
  • Rescue Mission was great tonight!!! I wish I could do it more often :) I'm anticipating next month!!
  • definitely felt God's presence at Rescue Mission ! cant wait for next month!
  • Great night of worship at the rescue mission! Glory to God!
  • Had a great time at the rescue mission.. I was so touched by some of the conversations I had :) I can't wait to go back.
Let's not give up on 'em, people. They are worth the hard work, blood, sweat and tears. I promise.
Don’t let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith and in purity. (1Timothy 4:12)


3 comments:

  1. wow. it's my dream to have even one of my girls respond in that way to our time at rm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never. Give. Up.
    If you do, they might never come back after high school and college and become bang-up leaders themselves :)

    ReplyDelete