LOOK HERE for recipes, quotes, music, books, environmental stewardship, faith, etc

Saturday, September 11, 2010

Beet It!

Most of my recipes are ones I find on the internet, or cull from my handful of cookbooks.

But this one I made up all by my lonesome (though I found this photo online as I prepared to post this...)

This is so good because it's a great combination of sweet and salty, and the beets give it substance. Very satisfying, I must say.

Not sure what to call it. Guess I'll go with the main ingredients:

BEET & FETA PASTA
(Serves 2)

1 package pasta (I used DeBoles Rice Spirals -- their shape grabs the ingredients nicely)
2 beets, peeled & boiled
1/2 c crumbled feta
Diced fresh tomatoes (I used local red & yellow cherry tomatoes, quartered)
Shredded parmesan
Olive oil
Garlic salt

Optional (choose as many as you want):
Green or black olives
Diced onions, sauteed or roasted
Capers
Sliced mushrooms, sauteed
Fresh spinach, roughly cut, or arugula
Pine nuts

1. Preheat oven to broil for beets.

2. Start the water boiling for the pasta; cook according to directions.

3. Dice the beets (and onions, if you want) and coat with a little olive oil and garlic salt. Lay out on a cookie sheet or roasting pan. Broil them for about 10 minutes (keep an eye on them).

4. Meanwhile, dice up the other ingredients and pile them into a bowl, including the feta.

5. When the pasta is done, drain well and then pour them into the bowl with the vegetables. Toss well, adding a little olive oil and garlic salt (not too much -- you want the flavor of the roasted beets and other vegetables to come through). Garnish with pine nuts and parmesan if you want.

I served this with some steamed green beans and garlic bread.

Try to eat slowly and enjoy it!

No comments:

Post a Comment