LOOK HERE for recipes, quotes, music, books, environmental stewardship, faith, etc

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Got Stone Fruit?

"Stone fruit" is a weird term. Sure, I know it refers to fruit with big seeds or "stones" - peaches, nectarines, plums, apricots, etc. I get that. But the word "stone" with "fruit" takes away the fresh yumminess of these fruits. Biting into a fresh peach is one of those top "YESSSSS!" experiences in life. But calling it a "stone fruit" makes it sound like it's gray and filled with gravel or something...

But I digress. Nothing new. Regardless of my deep-seated hang up with the term, I have discovered a glorious way to use said stone fruit.

Yes, I prefer it to eat them all au naturel, just as the Good Lord made them. But I can also burn out on them quickly. So it's good to have options. Other than dicing them up and freezing them for smoothies, this is my new favorite - thank you Everyday Food magazine (really, thank you Martha, who of course calls peaches and friends "stone fruit") and thanks too to Fairview Gardens for this week's pound of nectarines (which were a "scosh" small for plain eating... I'm not complaining):

Stone Fruit Compote
In a small saucepan, combine about 3/4 lb coarsely chopped stone fruit, 2 tb honey, pinch of coarse salt, 3 tb water, and 1 small cinnamon stick (other options: 1 wide strip lemon zest, 1 star anise, 2 allspice berries).

Cook over medium high, stirring occasionally, until fruit is soft (10-15 mins). Transfer to jar and let cool. To store, cover and refrigerate, up to 2 weeks).

I put the compote on Greek Yogurt (Voskos in my new favorite brand) and it is perfection.

No comments:

Post a Comment