Thank you interweb.... this was easy and so darn good.
- 2 zucchini, cubed
- 2 potatoes, cubed (I keep a 1-lb bag of organic potatoes on hand)
- 1 can diced tomatoes with liquid (I always have a box of the Costco organic cans on hand in my pantry)
- 1 tsp turmeric, divided into 1/2 tsp portions
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp kosher salt, divided into 1/2 tsp portions
- 1/4 tsp chili powder (or more, if you're a hothead)
- healthy pinch of sugar
- 1/4 c minced fresh cilantro, more for garnish
- 1/2 c. water
- olive oil for frying
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- warm na'an bread or rice
- If you're eating this on rice, start the rice.
- Place zucchini and potatoes in a large bowl and marinate in 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp turmeric for 5 min.
- Heat oil (I used 1 tb oil - the recipe I found did not specify... go with what feels good to you!) in a sturdy pan and fry potatoes & zucchini on medium-low heat for 5-6 min till golden brown. Remove and keep aside.
- Add more oil (1 tb?), add in the ginger paste, cumin, turmeric, 1/2 tsp salt and chili powder. Fry for 2 min and add in the tomatoes & liquid from can. Fry well for 5-6 min and add in the vegetables. Add in the sugar and water and cook till done (when potato chunks are soft).
- With 5 minutes left, mix 2 tsp cornstarch with 1/2 c water till blended. Stir in to thicken sauce.
- Garnish with minced cilantro.
- Optional: top with sour cream, unsweetened coconut, raisins and chutney.