I made this recipe after crawling home from a long week of teaching, graduation events, loads of appointments. It was simple and tasty.
I adapted this from the latest issue of Vegetarian Times. Time and again, I get good recipes from this magazine. They include a good selection of vegan and gluten-free recipes too, if that turns your prop...
From Vegetarian Times
2 Tbs. fine dry breadcrumbs (I ground a slice of Trader Joe's brown-rice bread in my spice grinder... worked great)
2 small leeks, white and light green parts halved and sliced 1/2-inch thick
2 cups chopped Swiss chard, kale, collard greens, or mustard greens
4 egg whites
3 whole eggs, beaten
1/4 cup low-fat milk
1/8 tsp. nutmeg
1 Tbs. chopped fresh tarragon
2 oz. soft goat cheese (I used feta)
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Coat bottom and sides of 9-inch glass pie dish with olive oil cooking spray. Scatter breadcrumbs over bottom of pie dish.
- Bring 4 cups salted water to a boil in large pot. Add leeks; boil 3 minutes. Remove pot from heat, add Swiss chard, and let stand 30 to 45 seconds, or until greens are wilted. Drain, rinse with cold water, and drain again, squeezing out excess water with hands. Set aside.
- Whisk egg whites until frothy. Whisk in eggs. Whisk in milk and nutmeg; season with salt and pepper, if desired. Whisk in tarragon and basil.
- Scatter leeks and Swiss chard over breadcrumbs in prepared pie dish. Dot cheese on top. Pour egg mixture into pie pan. (I sprinkled the rest of my breadcrumbs over the top).
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes, until golden brown on top. Cool 5 minutes before slicing and serving.