LOOK HERE for recipes, quotes, music, books, environmental stewardship, faith, etc

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Banana Rice Pancakes


Before you think I'm regressing to baby food or am preparing for dentures, keep in mind that I am gluten-free AND needing to cut down on cholesterol. So I'm always looking for good breakfast alternatives (I still eat eggs, which doesn't make me a true vegetarian... )

Found this recipe in my monthly issue of Bicycling magazine. I'm an eclectic magazine subscriber... Paste (music, culture, books, movies, etc.), New Yorker, Bicycling, Vegetarian Times... oh, and Group, a magazine for youthworkers. I'm well-rounded :)

Anyway, this recipe worked well this morning. I had to make it with white rice because I didn't have time to make brown rice. I'll be trying that next.

BANANA RICE PANCAKES
1 cup cooked rice
2 eggs
1 ripe banana
1/2 cup milk (dairy, soy, almond = I used almond)
1 tb potato or almond flour (regular flour apparently works too)
Optional seasonings: cinnamon, brown sugar, nutmeg, vanilla

Combine all ingredients in a blender (or Cuisinart smart stick), adding more more milk or rice to reach desired consistency. Cook slowly on a griddle on medium heat. Pancakes will be moist and creamy inside when done. Serves two.

Like other new recipes, this might take a little experimentation. My first pancakes were mangled lumps, my second ones were better (recite "patience is a virtue" to yourself as they are cooking). I can't decide if they cooked better on my stainless steel pan, which I prefer, or my old non-stick, which I try to avoid using anymore.

I made the half the batch into muffins (350 degrees for 20 minutes) and will try those at lunch with some almond butter.
Topped my cakes with a spot of butter and some peach jam. Nice.

3 comments:

  1. MMMMmmm...sounds good! We will have to try them! Owen is a lover of anything banana:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, can't wait to try these pancakes, thanks! Have you tried these oatmeal pancakes?

    Ingredients

    * 1/2 cup old-fashioned oatmeal
    * 1/4 cup low-fat cottage cheese (or tofu)
    * 4 egg whites
    * 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    * 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
    * 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

    Directions

    1. Process the oatmeal, cottage cheese, egg whites, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a blender until smooth.
    2. Spray a nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Add the batter and cook over medium heat until both sides are lightly browned.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll be making these for Nathan... thanks for the post! love you!!!!

    ReplyDelete