LOOK HERE for recipes, quotes, music, books, environmental stewardship, faith, etc

Saturday, January 9, 2010

Nutrition Notebook #5


Not a lot of news to report in my ongoing venture to work with my cholesterol and metabolism, other than it's not very easy to maintain a this way of life when one is working at a convention in a Midwestern urban center! Not only was my schedule non-stop during that week (which does not allow much room for preparing meals), I was also constrained by limited facilities and resources. I did have a great grocery nearby that allowed me to have giant tasty salads or hummus and vegetables each day for lunch, and a Japanese restaurant had wonderful sushi for a couple of on-the-run dinners, but overall I'd give myself about a B- in terms of adherence.

This past week was spent getting back into the swing of all of life: food, exercise, sleep, work, play. I'm a happier camper (though the conference was outstanding) now that I'm back in my routine. That sounds so boring and grown-up, I suppose. Oh well.

This morning I made a breakfast that I cannot keep a secret any longer. I got the recipe from my nutritionist and oh baby... it takes a time or two to get it down, but it's well worth the trouble. You'll take a look at the ingredients and scratch your head. But it works wonderfully, and is an amazing treat on every level. Enjoy!

BANANA WALNUT PANCAKES
2 large eggs, beaten
1 ripe banana, mashed or 1 apple, grated
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 c walnuts, chopped
olive oil, as needed

Pour a thin film of olive oil in a cast iron or stainless skillet. Heat on low (I use a gas stove, and have it between 2 & 3). Meanwhile, mix ingredients together. When oil is hot (I sprinkle a few droplets of water to test - if they sizzle, it's ready), pour batter into pan with a ladle, forming 2-3" pancakes (NO BIGGER).

When little bubbles form on top of pancake, flip over and brown other side. This will take practice. My first batch was an abysmal failure. Serve immediately. I top my pancakes with peanut or almond butter, or blueberries. Really, really good.

No comments:

Post a Comment