LOOK HERE for recipes, quotes, music, books, environmental stewardship, faith, etc

Monday, August 31, 2009

Hurry Curry


I try to talk about significant spiritual issues on this blog, my favorite music, or occasional writing in a vulnerable vein....

But BY FAR the most comments are not in response to any of my attempts at depth. Instead, I receive the most comments related to the recipes I post! Oh well.

I will keep trying to post that "other stuff," just for my own entertainment, I suppose ☺

Here's a standby recipe I have used for years. I found it in the LA Times, back when papers got delivered to your porch. It's a keeper. This is perfect for those I-have-half-an-hour-and-no-idea-what-to-make-for-dinner moments... and like it says below, it's also great as a cold leftover or picnic option.

HURRY CURRY

2 onions
3 tbsp butter
2 c cooked beef, lamb, chicken or pork (or nothing)
1 apple
1/2 c golden raisins
1 1/2 c chicken broth
1 1/2 tbsp flour (I am now gluten-free, sadly. Instead, I use soy flour, and I've used cornstarch in the past)
1 tbsp curry powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 c half and half or plain yogurt (or coconut milk)

I also have used bell peppers, potatoes, celery, mushrooms, cauliflower... Whatever vegetables sound good to you. I also like to add cashews to it right before serving, along with grated coconut if you want. THIS IS ALSO REALLY GOOD AS A COLD SALAD. If you make it cold, slice up some grapes in it as well. Oh man, I'm getting hungry.

Cut and peel onions into large chunks. Melt 1 tbsp butter in skillet over medium-high heat and sauté onions until softened, about 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Place onions in bowl and set aside.

Cut meat into bite-size pieces and set aside. Peel apple and cut off 4 wedges. Discard core and cut wedges in half. Add raisins - and nuts. Set aside.

Place broth in small saucepan and heat until simmering. Turn off heat and let it sit on burner.

Melt remaining butter in 2 1/2 qt saucepan over low heat and KEEP AN EYE ON IT. Watch butter melt - don't let it brown. Tilt saucepan till butter coats bottom of pan. Sprinkle flour and curry powder over butter. Using large spoon, stir constantly all over bottom of pan until all three are blended well. Now slowly add broth, stirring constantly with whisk so mixture blends well. Turn heat to medium and stir until thick, smooth and creamy - about 3 minutes. Stir in salt to taste. Add at least 1/4 c half and half or yogurt if it's too spicy for you. Add meat, apple, raisins & nuts and continue to stir and cook sauce for a few more minutes.

Pour sauce and meat mixture over rice, couscous, quinoa or baked potatoes. Sprinkle coconut, chutney or a little yogurt or sour cream on top. Eat a lot.

Serves 4

No comments:

Post a Comment