LOOK HERE for recipes, quotes, music, books, environmental stewardship, faith, etc

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Pleasantly SuPerb Pasta (More Manna From Heaven)

In the spirit of continuing to rejoice in what I receive daily (rather than focusing on what I want or think I "need") I patched together a pesto recipe tonight for dinner that turned out quite well.

Rather than using the standard basil / parmesan / olive oil / pine nuts recipe, I improvised - this is what I had in my fridge, freezer and garden:

Soif's Pesto
1/2 cup spinach
1/2 cup arugula
1 cup basil
(you can fudge with these amounts; the goal is to get 2 cups of these greens)
1/4 c shredded Parmesan cheese

1/3 c olive oil
1/4 c walnuts (frankly, I like walnuts more than pine nuts in pesto - it makes it a little less rich)
3 tsp minced garlic

1 tsp salt

1 tsp fresh rosemary
(we have it growing outside - just strip the leaves off the stem)
1/2 tsp thyme

1/2 tsp parsley


The key to successful pesto, I have decided, is our nifty inversion blender, AKA the Cuisinart Smart Stick (lame name, great product). I could do an infomercial on this gizmo. My friend Claire Carey turned me on to this baby - it's awesome for smoothies, it's amazing for making soups creamy, it makes hummus in a snap, and it's my BFF when I'm making pesto. It's worth the investment. Use your Bed Bath & Beyond coupon and splurge. You won't regret it.

Place the greens in the cup of the blender and whip 'em up till they are finely chopped (about 3/4 cup at a time). Add 1/3 of the nuts and garlic, blend again. Then add 1/3 of the Parmesan cheese, then 1/3 of the olive oil. Scrape down the sides of the container, then repeat the "1/3" cycle again and again until the nuts, garlic, cheese and oil are mixed in.

Mix into cooked pasta, and garnish with fresh diced tomatoes and a bit more parmesan. Yummmmmmmm. I've made pesto in the past with kale, chard, even beet greens. Take some risks. Go crazy.

1 comment:

  1. I eyed my savory from last week's share and almost put some in. In the end it was basic basil pesto , but I'll be more adventurous and I may even go buy that gizmo-I sure could use it come soup season!
    ~Jessika

    ReplyDelete