LOOK HERE for recipes, quotes, music, books, environmental stewardship, faith, etc

Saturday, May 2, 2009

Appetite

I started reading the Bible at 15. Over thirty years I have read the Bible. Lots of underlining and highlighting. I even had epiphanies at times. In seminary I wrote long papers and often ran out of space before I ran out of things to say. In working with youth I have taught hundreds – perhaps thousands -- of Bible studies. But I would say that until I took a sabbatical last fall, I did not crave time in God’s word.

Seriously. It wasn’t torture, by any stretch. But until last fall it was simply a good discipline, like vitamins; something that was helpful and good once I got into it.

After three months of sabbatical rest, where I woke up each morning to Bible study… out of that time there is now an appetite in me -- where now I love to read the Word like I love to eat donuts or sleep in on Saturday mornings. It’s a hunger that cannot be satisfied by anything else. I’m sad it took so long, but I am glad I am there.

No comments:

Post a Comment