LOOK HERE for recipes, quotes, music, books, environmental stewardship, faith, etc

Monday, April 6, 2009

The sublime & the mundane


On April 2 I wrote about why I enjoy belonging to a CSA:
...as I've mentioned here before, I've learned better how to WAIT and anticipate the various seasons and what foods they bring. Perhaps it goes without saying, but this result has had great spiritual implications as well for me.
Apparently, it does not go without saying because a couple of friends have asked me to expand on this. Here goes....
  • To not be able to eat a food that I want because it is not in season is a simple, daily reminder that I cannot always get my way. "Have it your way" is a lie.
  • My weekly share at the CSA is my portion for the week. I make due with what I have, and I am thankful. As my friend Frank said about this, "Just like the manna in the wilderness." I have no right to complain. God provides plenty of food every week.
  • Furthermore, in eating new foods I am reminded that I need to be flexible and be open to new things. I had never eaten kale before last year. If you had asked me if I liked kale back then, I would have just said No. I was wrong! Now it is a staple of my winter diet - I put it in scrambled eggs, soups and pasta dishes. I love it. I have a lot to learn.
  • Just because I want fresh blueberries in January does not mean I am entitled to them. It is a gross consumption of energy and an unnecessary production of carbon emissions to transport them from the Southern Hemisphere. I want to be a better steward of God's creation.
  • Looking forward to the seasons and what they bring makes the anticipation all the sweeter. I've learned how to delight in greens in winter, but I also can't wait for big juicy tomatoes in late summer. This is good practice for me. I receive each day as a gift from God; at the same time, I eagerly await eternal life.
Go to Sustainable Table for more info as to when foods are in season.

As for "New Music Monday"... I got nuthin' this week.

Have a blessed Holy Week. Take time to think about it.


I don’t mean to say that I have
already achieved these things
or that I have already reached perfection.
But I press on to possess that perfection
for which Christ Jesus first possessed me.
No, dear brothers and sisters,
I have not achieved it,
but I focus on this one thing:
Forgetting the past and looking forward
to what lies ahead, I press on
to reach the end of the race
and receive the heavenly prize
for which God, through Christ Jesus,
is calling us.(Philippians 3:12-14)

3 comments:

  1. awww, sigh. you make excellent points but I am still slightly partial to the farmers market. What if I use the argument that I use less carbon emissions driving there than to Fairview because it's closer to my house. Hmmm, maybe? : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am still willing to be your friend :)

    ReplyDelete