LOOK HERE for recipes, quotes, music, books, environmental stewardship, faith, etc

Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Odds 'n Ends

There is no particular rhyme or reason to today's entry... just a few bits and pieces that are scuttling around my life.

1. If you read my entry on March 30 about Arvo Part, I found a review of his music in the New Yorker archives from 2002 that expands on the beauty of his music. I received my CD in the mail yesterday - I bought his latest album titled In Principio ("In the Beginning"), that has 5 works set in the Book of John. Lovely.

2. For those of you who told me where Estonia actually is... thank you.

3. I got an official Westmont College email address - ksoifer@westmont.edu - AND a Westmont ID card in preparation for my Mayterm class, which starts on May 11. So far, I have 10 students signed up. Quite stoked about that. Some of you who have known me for a long time are allowed to have a little giggle that I'm working at Westmont. I'm excited!

4. I've just been asked to provide the speaking/training for a day-long retreat for the Kids Club ministries in Santa Barbara, scheduled for May 2. This is going to be fantastic - the leaders from the Eastside, the Westside and Goleta are all coming together. A dream come true! I'm so impressed with what these ministries are doing, week in and week out.

5. Here's a quote to ponder that I read this week:

I cannot talk about God or sin or grace... without at the same time talking about those parts of my own experience where these ideas became compelling and real.
Frederick Buechner

I would say that this is, in part, the motivation behind this blog. I write about what I know...

I have staked my life on the transforming power of God's grace, plain and simple. But I find I cannot speak too convincingly of it apart from the experience I have with grace in my own life and in the lives of those I see & know. The line between "orthodoxy" and "orthopraxy" is blurred for me. As I continuously learn of grace in God's word, I see it more... as I experience God's grace personally - gently and subtly at times - I then see it in every part of God's word.

I'm so grateful for how your lives are teaching me too. Praise Him.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kelly,

    so I had to go take a look at Arvo Part myself and watched an interview w/Bjork done in 1997 . . .or so. I listened also to some of his music, very haunting and beautiful. He said it is 2 lines, one sinner/subjective and somewhat more complicated and one of forgiveness, objective and clear and simple. I have never gone to watch Bjork before . . .fyi-

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm guessing you found the interview on youtube? I'll have to check it. Part is Russian Orthodox.

    ReplyDelete