LOOK HERE for recipes, quotes, music, books, environmental stewardship, faith, etc

Monday, April 20, 2009

Blue Monday

I lost a friend last night. His name was Steve Birch. He was a great dad to guys from my old youth group, a tremendous husband and son, a remarkably hospitable host who hosted countless events for us and so many others, a gifted and generous doctor and surgeon, an advocate for many - including my dear friend Claire as she suffers for so long from a brain tumor, and finally, an adventurous risk-taker. We thought he'd avert this disaster like he had all the other ones, but sadly, it was not the case.

My reading in cranky old Ecclesiastes put words to some of my grief today. From Chapter 7, in the Message:
3 Crying is better than laughing.
It blotches the face but it scours the heart.

4 Sages invest themselves in hurt and grieving.
Fools waste their lives in fun and games.

10 Don't always be asking, "Where are the good old days?"
Wise folks don't ask questions like that.

14 On a good day, enjoy yourself;
On a bad day, examine your conscience.
God arranges for both kinds of days
So that we won't take anything for granted.

Rest well Steve. I look forward to being reunited with you one day. Your wry humor, your subtle comments and your level head served me in so many ways. I only hope I can give as much as you did to so many folks. And I pray for all of us left behind - especially his family. No words.

2 comments:

  1. Very sorry to read your news about your friend, Steve. I checked the link, a plane accident. . . so sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kelly,

    Sorry to read your news about losing your friend, Steve. I read the link and see it was a plane accident, so sad.

    ReplyDelete