LOOK HERE for recipes, quotes, music, books, environmental stewardship, faith, etc

Sunday, March 29, 2009

That THAT, Mrs. Rivas!

So I have many dubious accomplishments in my life. Here's one of them:

I was the first girl at McKinley Jr High School in Redwood City, CA to take (and complete) wood shop.

Not a big deal in 2009. But in, um, 1974 (shoot, it was that long ago?!), girls took home ec and boys took wood shop. Period.

I threw a wrench in the works however, by FLUNKING Home Ec in 7th grade. Yep. Because Mrs. Rivas, the teacher, only helped the girls that already knew how to sew.... how does THAT make sense?? So she poured all her attention and cooing affirmations (no, I'm not bitter) onto her precious students who could make Jiffy pattern dresses while poor Kelly-with-the-bad-Mrs.-Brady-shag-haircut-and-glasses-who-couldn't-sew was left to her own devices. And got a flunking grade for the saddest-looking pillow on the planet. And I was so shaken by this experience that I then went on to flounder in the cooking portion of the class as well.

I was devastated - not really because I couldn't sew (although all THE cool girls could), but because I could not get promoted out of jr high without this home ec requirement. I was a very good student academically (thank goodness), so they were motivated to figure out a solution. Thus the move into wood shop. Which terrified me because Mr. Hamilton, the teacher, had missing fingers on one of his hands - which does not promote confidence in a wood shop teacher, if you follow me...

Anyway, I survived, I made a lovely jewelry box (which I still have, thank you very much) and a set of bookends. I am woman, hear me roar!

That little tale brings me to today, where I can say that I would pass home ec with flying colors now - ok, maybe not flying colors because I still do not sew but people, I can COOK!

Look at what I made last night for dinner. I'm proudly holding the recipe I used from Vegetarian Times to make Deep-Dish Skillet Pizza. Not only did it look just like the photo in the magazine (how often does that happen?!), but it tasted splendiferous, in my oh-so-humble opinion. So here's the recipe. Go crazy.


DEEP-DISH SKILLET PIZZA
serves 6
PREHEAT oven to 475 degrees

DOUGH
1 tsp light brown sugar
1/2 pkg dry yeast (1/4 oz)
3/4 c whole-wheat pastry flour
1/2 c all-purpose flour
1 tb flax meal or ground flaxseed
2 tsp olive oil
3/4 tsp salt

Dissolve brown sugar in 1/2 c warm water in large bowl. Stir in yeast, let stand 5 minutes, or until liquid is cloudy & bubbly. Stir in whole-wheat flour, 1/4 c all-purpose flour, flax meal, oil & salt. Knead 2 minutes while adding 1/4 c flour. Oil separate bowl, and turn dough in oil to coat. Cover, let rise in warm spot until dough doubles in size -- about 45 minutes.

TOPPING
2 tb olive oil
3 garlic cloves, minced (1 tb)
8 c loosely packed kale (I used chard)
1 c slikced mushrooms
1 tsp ground fennel seed
2 tb neufchatel cheeze (I used mozzarella)
1 c crumbled feta cheese (4 oz)
12 cherry tomatoes, halved
2 tb chopped fresh oregano or basil

Heat oil in large pot over medium heat. Add garlic, and saute 2 minutes. Add kale, cover, and cook 15 minutes, or until kale is softened, stirring occasionally. Add mushrooms and fennel seed, cook 7-10 minutes more, or until all liquid has evaporated. Remove from heat, stir in neufchatel cheese (or wait on the mozzarella so it doesn't get globby....)

COOKING
Oil bottom and sides of a 12-inch cast iron skillet. With floured hands, pat & stretch dough over bottom and halfway up sides of skillet. Let dough rest 5 minutes. Spread kale mixture on dough; scatter feta, tomatoes, and oregano or basil on top. Place skillet directly on oven floor, bake 15 minutes. Remove carefully from oven and let stand 5 minutes before serving.

6 comments:

  1. Well Kelly, you may not sew, but you certainly keep us all in stitches with your tales from your ginghamed past. Missing fingers...kind of like a buck-toothed orthodontist.BTW good substitution on the cheese!
    Frank

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sewing/home ec? Where did you go to school? I'm older than you and went to school in Southern California and we didn't have that kind of requirement. How strange. . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. We make pizza every Friday nite-I'm going to make this one this week! Thanks for sharing the recipe-what a tasty way to use some greens from the farm.
    ~Jessika

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well Diane, perhaps Nor Cal was different? Doesn't seem possible...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jess, let me know how pizza goes... it would be great with a pesto sauce too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dave is the one teaching our kids to sew---my talents lie elsewhere, too!

    ReplyDelete