LOOK HERE for recipes, quotes, music, books, environmental stewardship, faith, etc

Monday, February 23, 2009

Marking Time

Since November, I have been using a devotional titled Benedict's Way. It is a lovely, simple book that gives thirty devotionals related to the Rule of St. Benedict, a set of teachings used by most monastic orders to give structure and direction to their spiritual communities. I picked it up in my pursuit of greater intimacy with God and a desire for more simplicity in the way I ordered my life.

Today's reading, titled "Marking Time," really spoke to me as I passed through a significant marker yesterday:

We can't control time, but we can mark it. ... Rather than trying to manage time, Benedict asks us to embrace it, to walk into it, to hop on the bucking bronco and ride it until our last gasp of air. (223)

God, today I say yes to another day and all its opportunities. Tonight I say thank you for another day and all its opportunities. I am in a cycle of seasons that seems to be taking me somewhere. Help me remember that time is an ally and not an enemy. These seasons that come and go are taking me to you. Give me faith to hold on to that knowledge. Amen. (225)

This week, Christians will mark time with the beginning of Lent this Wednesday, Feb. 25. Think about marking some time between now and Easter, to prepare your heart and mind for what God will say to you. Make the soil of your heart ready to receive the seeds of his grace.

3 comments:

  1. Okay, so I'm going to read through all of this. :)

    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. My blog, or Benedict's Way? :) If you have to make a choice, choose the book. It's a delight.

    ReplyDelete